Every dog must be licensed when it becomes six months old and then annually in June. Anyone who becomes an owner of a dog aged six months old or older must license the dog within 30 days of acquisition. Dog licenses CANNOT be issued unless a valid rabies certificate which includes the date of vaccination and duration of immunity is submitted to the Town Clerk.
Dog License Fees:
|Neutered male or spayed female||$8.00|
|Un-neutered male or un-spayed female||$19.00|
|Transfer of ownership – currently licensed dog||$1.00|
Please note: A $1.00 monthly late fee will be charged beginning August 1, 2020
ALL DOG LICENSES MUST BE OBTAINED BY MAIL* OR BY USING THE TOWN CLERK’S/ TAX COLLECTOR’S DROP BOX LOCATED OUTSIDE THE TOWN HALL BY THE FRONT ENTRANCE TO THE BUILDING.
*(Mailing Address: Town Clerk’s Office, 1540 Sullivan Avenue, South Windsor, CT 06074)
If you are licensing a dog that had a valid license for the July 1. 2019 through June 30, 2020 licensing year, you will be receiving a postcard in the mail in early June reminding you to license your dog. The postcard will state the rabies vaccination expiration date that we have on file in our office.
To license your dog either by mail or by using the Town Clerk’s/Tax Collector’s drop box located on the side of the building by the front entrance, please provide the following items:
- Check or money order payable to the “Town of South Windsor” for fees as stated above (please include late fees beginning August 1st).
- Current valid rabies certificate. (If you receive a reminder postcard in the mail AND the rabies vaccination expiration date listed on the card is July 1, 2020 or later, you do NOT need to provide another certificate. If the rabies vaccination expiration date is June 30, 2020 or earlier, you MUST provide an updated certificate to receive a dog license).
- Spay/neuter certificate, if applicable. (If you have already submitted a spay/neuter certificate to our office, you do not need to submit it again.)
- Self-addressed stamped envelope for us to return to you the dog license, dog tag, and any documents you provided.
- A. IF YOU ARE LICENSING A NEW DOG, Please complete the dog license application by clicking here and include it with the above requested documents.
B. IF YOU ARE RE-LICENSING A DOG AND RECEIVED A POST CARD IN THE MAIL, please include the postcard with the above requested documents.
No licenses for the July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2021 licensing year will be issued prior to June 1st.
If you have any questions, please contact the Town Clerk’s office at (860)644-2511 ext. 325.