Single Stream Recycling
South Windsor Bi-Weekly Single Stream Recycling
Single stream recycling is a system in which all recyclables – fiber (newspapers, cardboard, mixed paper, catalogs, magazine, and junk mail) and containers (glass, steel, aluminum, and plastic) are placed, unsorted, in one larger recycling cart and then sorted by state-of-the-art processing equipment at a regional recycling center.
Advantages of Single Stream Recycling
- Convenient for residents – the larger wheeled recycling cart will permit the comingling of paper and cardboard with the other recyclables.
- The carts reduce litter and contamination because they have lids that seal tightly.
- Single stream recycling promotes increased recycling which results in the greater conservation of material resources and reduces the use of raw materials.
- Increased recycling means less refuse delivered to energy recovery facilities or to out-of-state landfills for disposal.
- Easier recycling means greater residential participation that drives up recycling rates and reduces waste disposal thereby lowering costs to municipalities and homeowners.
- The bi-weekly automated collection of recyclables will mean more efficient routes may be scheduled thereby reducing truck traffic and emissions, and fuel consumption.