Bulky Waste Collection Program


Residential Homes

Certain large items of waste can no longer be mixed with refuse. A separate collection for these items will be made once each month during the first full week of the month, beginning on Monday, on trash collection day. Bulky items must be separated from other refuse and recyclables and placed at the curb by 7:00 am for collection. Home improvement contractor generated building material wastes are not acceptable. For demolition waste, homeowner should make waste disposal arrangements with a private contractor.


Bulk items (items not fitting in dumpster) will be collected once each month during the first full week of the month, on Friday only; this includes Plum Ridge Condos. It is not necessary for the condominium association or resident of the condominium to call the Public Works Department for bulky waste collection. Home improvement contractor generated building material wastes are not acceptable.

2020 Collection Schedule

Bulk waste collection will be picked up on the following weeks beginning on Monday on TRASH COLLECTION DAY:

  • Week of January 6, 2020
  • Week of February 3, 2020
  • Week of March 2, 2020
  • Week of April 6, 2020
  • Week of May 4, 2020
  • Week of June 1, 2020
  • Week of July 6, 2020
  • Week of August 3, 2020
  • Week of September 7, 2020 (there will be no pickup on Monday, September 7, 2020; pickup will be one day delayed)
  • Week of October 5, 2020
  • Week of November 2, 2020
  • Week of December 7, 2020

These items for separate collection include, but are not limited to the following:

  • Household Furniture such as sofas, sleeper sofas, overstuffed chairs
  • Mattresses, box springs
  • Carpets, rugs – must be rolled & tied and not larger than 5’ in width, 6' length
  • Large plastic items (kids toys, storage bins)
  • Up to 4 car tires without the rims

Non-acceptable items for bulky waste collection are:

  • Home improvement or home remodeling generated material wastes including: interior/exterior doors, windows, kitchen cabinets or countertops, bathtubs/shower, vanities, flooring (tiles)
    • Construction material such as lumber, sheetrock, shingles, plaster, pipe, sheds, fencing, dirt, stones and rocks, railroad ties, etc.
  • Covered Electronics Devices (televisions, computers, printers, etc.)
  • Cardboard boxes
  • Bagged and/or loose trash of any type.  Bulk waste is not collected in cardboard boxes or plastic bags.


How Do I Get Rid Of...

1. Latex and Oil Based Paint

New state regulations adopted in July 1, 2013 now provide options for the disposal of oil based and latex paint:

  • Participating Retailers - There are area retailers who will accept oil and latex paint of any brand at their store locations. Paint Care maintains a website (http://paintcare.org/locator/index.php) to locate the closest participating retailer.
  • Household Hazardous Waste Collection - HHW program will accept oil based paints. Review the HHW program requirements as provided in the Town’s website or contact the Public Works at (860) 644-2511, ext. 343.

2. Scrap Metal - is recyclable; call Town Hall prior to noon on Tuesday for Wednesday scheduled metal pick up.

3. Brush - must be placed in the automated refuse collection container (no longer than 3ft). Brush may also be delivered by the homeowner to Harvest New England in Ellington. You can reach Harvest New England at (860) 871-7442. Disposal prices are to be paid by the homeowner.

If you have questions about refuse disposal, recycling, or hazwaste disposal, call (860) 644-2511, ext. 343.