Exemptions for Veteran/Active Duty/SS Disability/ Blind

Veteran & Active Duty Exemptions:

Qualified Veterans and Active Servicemen are entitled to a variety of applied exemptions to their assessments. State statutes require the following prior to any exemption application:
Veteran Exemptions: Honorable discharge paperwork, issued by the Department of Defense (DD-214), must be filed with the Town Clerk prior to October 1 in order to apply it to property ownership records prior to the July billing cycle. If a veteran is receiving additional disability compensation from the VA - the Assessor's Office must have a copy of the disability rating. This will increase the benefit amount depending on the percentage granted by VA. If the disability rating changes, an updated VA letter must be submitted to the office.

Active Duty Serviceman: This form must be completed and returned to the Assessor's Office in order to exempt one vehicle from the Grand List due to active military service. This form must be filed annually, and can be found here: Application for Motor Vehicle Property Tax Exemption  


Social Security Disability:

Notice of Award from the Social Security Administration must be filed with the Assessor prior to October 1, along with the town form in order to receive the exemption. The Totally Disabled Form can be found here.

Blind Persons:

To be eligible for this exemption, a person must, as of October 1:

  1. File with the Assessor a Certification of Legal Blindness from the State of Connecticut Board of Education and Services for the Blind Industries Division.
  2. Be a Connecticut resident.
  3. Be either the record owner or hold "life use" in, or be the beneficiary of a trust estate with respect to the property on which the exemption will be applied.