Animal Control

The South Windsor Police Department renders appropriate humane and professional care for injured and stray domesticated animals, as well as other animal control functions.  The Chief of Police is designated the Municipal Animal Control Officer and has the authority to appoint Assistant Municipal Animal Control Officers. 

Animal problems or concerns should be reported to the South Windsor Police Department at (860) 644-2551. The dispatcher will notify the animal control officer on duty or a patrol officer to respond to your complaint. To contact the animal control officers directly see the schedule below.

South Windsor has joined the towns of Manchester and East Hartford for the sheltering of stray dogs and other animals. The facility known as the Tyler Regional Animal Care Shelter – T.R.A.C.S, is located at 124 Sullivan Avenue, South Windsor, CT. The costs associated with maintenance, animal care and staffing is shared by the various member towns, reducing the overall annual costs to each municipality.

To reclaim an animal recovered in South Windsor, you must contact the South Windsor Animal Control Officers at 860-648-6239 during normal office hours or call the South Windsor Police Department at 860-644-2551 at all other times.

To reclaim an animal that may have been recovered in Manchester or East Hartford, please contact the Animal Control Officer in that town (East Hartford (860) 291-7572; Manchester (860) 645-5516).

The South Windsor Police Department works in conjunction with other agencies and organizations to ensure the proper and humane care of all animals. Such agencies include:

  • South Windsor Public Works
  • Outside Municipal Animal Control Officers
  • CT Department of Energy & Environmental Protection (DEEP)
  • Connecticut Humane Society
  • State Canine Control Officer (CT Department of Agriculture)
  • Audubon Society
  • Sanctioned Animal Shelters and Organizations

Animal Control Officer

Animal Control Officer