The Capitol Region East Operating Committe (CREOC) provides for Household Hazarous Waste Collection services using Tradebe Environmental Services as the contractor to eight member Towns (Residents of South Windsor, Glastonbury, Hebron, Manchester, Marlborough, Somers, Stafford, and Vernon).
CREOC HHW Collection Schedule 2019 - in Manchester, CT at 321 Olcott Street facility:
April 6, 2019
May 4, 2019
June 1, 2019
August 24, 2019
September 28, 2019
November 2, 2019
Time: All collections are held on Saturdays mornings from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm.
Please arrive by 1:00 pm, all cars in line as of 1:00 pm will be serviced. Cars arriving after 1:00 pm will not be serviced.
2019 Fall Outreach Collection: Saturday, October 19, 8:00 am to 1:00 pm - Somers, CT Location
Locations and Directions:
Manchester Location: 321 Olcott Street, Manchester (Exit 1 from 384, follow Spencer Street for 0.9 miles. Turn left on Olcott Street. Follow signs to Facility.)
Somers Location: 5 Vision Blvd., Somers, CT. The parking lot next to the Somers High School. Follow the signs.
Bring a driver's license, tax bill, or car registration to prove residency.
Out of Sight is Not Out of Mind
What you don’t know about can harm your family’s health. You have only to look under your sink or in your garage and you will probably find lurking there, containers partially filled with hazardous household wastes just waiting to cause a problem. The average household has almost ten gallons of hazardous wastes, which if improperly used or stored, can harm you or your children and our environment. Because these wastes can pollute our water supplies, air, and land if disposed of in your trash, on the ground, down your sink and toilet, or into the neighborhood storm drain, the Town wants you to bring these wastes to a Town Household Hazardous Waste Collection Site. Refer to the Hazardous Waste Collection Schedule.
Safe Handling Tips
- Whenever possible, bring materials in their original containers.
- Don’t mix different products together in one container. Some of them may react violently with each other.
- If possible, pack containers separately in absorbent material to prevent breakage or leakage.
- Bring rags/towels in your car to clean up any spills.
- If a leak or spill occurs on route to site, stop car, wipe up substance, and open windows to vent fumes.
- Bring rags/towels to collection site for disposal.
Solving Household Hazwaste Problem
- Buy alternative non-hazardous products; read label before you buy.
- Buy only the amount you need.
- Carefully read label and use products according to directions.
- Never store products outdoors or near heat or flame.
- Keep children and pets away from where hazardous products are used or stored.
What You Can Do
Please click below for a list of what to bring and what should be left at home. If you have any of these products in your home and don’t intend to use them or give them away, please bring them to a Hazwaste Collection.
Please click here to for a list of what to bring and what should be left at home:
Rules For Bringing Waste To a Collection Day
Please stay in your vehicle during the entire collection! This is for your safety and is required by our contractor's DEP permit. We will take care of everything, so just sit back and relax.
- Bring your waste in their original containers whenever possible. Please make sure all containers are closed. It is dangerous to transport open containers.
- Do not mix different products.
- Collect your waste containers in disposable boxes or bins, which should be transported in your trunk. Do not put your Household HazWaste in the backseat with your children or pets.
- No smoking in your car! Most wastes are flammable.
- Bring something to read, the wait is usually 5 - 15 minutes, but can be up to 30 minutes (and at the very large collections sometimes longer).
- If possible, leave children and animals at home.
CONNECTICUT PAINTCARE PROGRAM - New this year, CREOC will participate in the PaintCare take back program. Residents can now bring both OIL & LATEX Paints/Stains for disposal! Visit https://www.paintcare.org for information, including year round locations where both oil and latex paints can be recycled for free, anytime. For more information on HHW collections, please contact CREOC at 860-647-5279 or SW Public Works Department at (860) 644-2511, ext. 343.