The Capital Region East Operating Committee (CREOC) provides for Household Hazardous Waste Collection services using Tradebe Environmental Services as the contractor operator to eight member Towns located east of the Connecticut River (Residents of South Windsor, Glastonbury, Hebron, Manchester, Marlborough, Somers, Stafford, and Vernon).
The next Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event is on Saturday, September 25, 2021 at 321 Olcott Street, Manchester, CT from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Bring a DRIVER’S LICENSE, TAX BILL OR CAR REGISTRATION to prove residency. Directions to the facility: Take Exit 1 from 384, follow Spencer Street for 0.9 miles. Turn left on Olcott Street. Follow signs to Facility (321 Olcott Street).
Online Appointments are Required: Click here to schedule an appointment
This is your opportunity to safely dispose of acids, insecticides, herbicides, fertilizers, chemicals, household cleaning products, and other hazardous materials which may have accumulated at your home, in your basement, or garage. Please leave all materials in their original containers.
Requirements and COVID-19 Guidelines
In an effort to allow for the collection of household hazardous waste (HHW) during the ongoing pandemic and ensure the safety of our customers and staff, the following modified guidelines will be strictly enforced. Staff reserves the right to deny access to those not complying with these guidelines. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
When at home
- Don’t forget your face mask.
- Load ALL HHW in trunk or rear of vehicle as staff will NOT be accessing front or rear seats of vehicles.
- Do NOT bring passengers or pets.
- Have valid driver’s license or vehicle registration with you.
- Used oil and anti-freeze are NOT accepted, contact the Public Works Department for disposal
- All paint shall be separated from other HHW. This will allow staff to process vehicles more efficiently.
- HHW must be in container(s) which you do NOT want returned
At the collection
- Only one person per vehicle.
- Remain in vehicle at all times with windows closed and wear face mask.
- Vehicles will be approached from the passenger’s side.
- Must show a license thru the window for Town verification. HHW shall be in rear of vehicle. Vehicles shall have remote trunk/gate mechanism or have compartment open prior to vehicle inspection.
- No trailers or work vans will be allowed.
- All paperwork will be done by on site staff from the outside of the vehicle the day of collection. No use of pre-printed online forms.
- NO CONTAINERS WILL BE RETURNED. For example old gas must be in a disposal container.
What You Can Do
Please click below for a list of what to bring and what should be left at home. If you have any of these products in your home and don’t intend to use them or give them away, please bring them to a Hazwaste Collection.
DO NOT BRING:
- Used oil and anti-freeze are NOT accepted. These items may be brought the Transfer Station.
- DRIED OUT LATEX PAINT OR EMPTY PAINT CANS will not be accepted since these can be disposed in your regular trash. For your convenience paints can be disposed conveniently anytime thru statewide recycling program. Locations and details at paintcare.org.
- Asbestos Waste will NOT be accepted
CONNECTICUT PAINTCARE PROGRAM - CREOC participates in the PaintCare take back program. Residents can bring both OIL & LATEX Paints/Stains for disposal! Visit https://www.paintcare.org for information, including year round locations where both oil and latex paints can be recycled for free, anytime.
For more information on HHW collections, please contact CREOC at 860-647-5279 or SW Public Works Department at (860) 644-2511, ext. 343.